Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Room 10 News: Google Docs and Goodreads

         Hello Room 10 families,

I hope you all have had a restful, relaxing and fun Winter Break.  I'm happy to bring you the news from Room 10, and I am looking forward to an exciting and productive 2011.

Google Docs

Google Docs is a great collaboration tool.  It provides, among other things, an online place to write, collaborate, create and store.  My vision for Google Docs is that students will do all their writing there.  I will be able to comment, edit and coach them during the writing process - even as they are writing.  As another benefit, you will have access to your child's writing.  The things they create will be retained online for you to access in the future.  There are so many things we can do with this tool, as a class we will explore the possibilities.

There is an important role for you to play in the use of Google Docs.  The terms of service prohibit students as young as your 4th grader from signing up.  In order for us to use this service, you will have to sign up with your child.  You both should agree on a login and password and you both should retain that information (and please share with me that information as well).  We all must agree that this Google account should only be used for school purposes, and your child should also understand that you and I both have the ability to monitor the account.  My colleagues who have used Google docs tell me that students really enjoy using the tool, and that problems with misuse are extremely rare.

I hope you all are enthusiastic about signing your child up for this tool.  If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to post them in the comments section of the classroom blog here:

Room 10 Blog

I hope we as a community can resolve any concerns and start using Google Docs as soon as possible.

If you are comfortable with signing up for Google Docs, feel free to do so with you child whenever you wish:

Google Accounts Link

Please email me the Login and password you have chosen so that I can retain that information for your child.


Goodreads

Goodreads is a site that I have been using for several years to catalog my reading and see what my friends are reading.  There is a social networking aspect to the site in that there are groups you can form to discuss books, post book reviews, and show others what you are interested in.  I am looking to use this website as a way to foster discussion and help students find books that interest them.  We would form a group as a class, and students would only be able to see the discussions taking place in our group.  Like Google Docs, we will explore the possibilities and see where it leads us.  Goodreads has similar terms of service as Google Docs.  You will need to provide an email address (preferably the Google Docs login), and you as the parent will be the one signing up.  We should all agree that we will be using Goodreads for school purposes and that both parents and teacher will have the ability to monitor your child's activities.

If you are comfortable with signing up your child for Goodreads, feel free to do so:

Goodreads.com

Please email me the login and password you have chosen so that I can retain that information for your child.

I am excited to be finally offering these resources to the class.  I think they will enhance your child's literacy and foster good online habits.  Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.  You can contact me directly, or post comments on the Class Blog.

1 comment:

redwoodcyclist said...

Feel free to leave comments parents! If you have any concerns - it may be useful to discuss them as a community here.